Friday, June 5, 2015

Five Tips to Success



It's not the first time I've been asked what have been the influences on my life that have allowed me to flourish in my personal and public life. Contemplating "success" (as I stand with my feet in the chilly Spring Atlantic ocean), I am happy. The sensation of the ocean breeze, the smell of the salt air, the cool sand and the sharp tingle as the water breaks over my feet... I am alive, and I am happy.

Success is being open to your own potential and not being afraid of it:

1. Listen: to others, without your own inner monologue getting in the way. Really pay attention to what people have to say. 

2. Respect: yourself first: don't sell yourself short. And then, respect others: avoid the inherent noise based on what people look like, sound like, dress like..

3. Trust: your instincts. If what someone says sounds wrong to your inner self, it probably is. Do the research. Check things out. But trust your gut.

4. Focus: keep your eye on the ball. Set up your plan (short term, mid-term, long-term) for your goals for yourself. Review regularly.  When you need to be flexible, do it.

5. Leap: and don't be afraid. All that stuff about doors closing and windows opening-- it's true. Don't be afraid to take a chance: "I wonder what would happen if..."

6. Enjoy (I know, I said Five things, but...): don't take yourself too seriously. A sense of humour and a smile always helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment